Assignment#1 Write a brief reflection on each article
1) Theories and Practices of Multimodal Education: The Instructional Dynamics of Picture Books and Primary Classrooms:
It's interesting to see the shift of reading from print-based education to multimodal education with more interaction of teachers and students on characters, plots and visuals of interactive children books. There are several ways to put children's literature with multimodal characteristics, such as words express meaning through typesetting, interactive narration, images expand meaning and multiple perspectives. It's good to allow children to speak up their thought during book's reading, so they can pick up all different elements of multimodal story. 2) Using the Addie Model to Design Second Life Activities for online Learners.
I didn't know what second life meant until I read this article. It's interesting to know that second life actually means virtual environment such as online education on Blackboard, instant messenger, etc. Although second life is convenience for users, I somehow still feel that I can learn more in the face-to-face classroom lecture than learning online as we can get instant feedback from other students and teachers. I don't think I tried using second life with avatar before. I believe avatars can help enhance the interaction and student engagement to second life activities, thus strengthen social presence.
Assignment#2 Create an avatar in Second Life, explore the environment, take a screenshot and share with class on blog.
Discuss with ELA teachers and list ways to incorporate Second Life in ELA instruction, applying the concepts of multimodality to the teaching of ELA:
Nonfiction books commonly contain not only text and photographs these days but also links to instructional videos. Multimodal texts offer multimodality or multiple modes on reading for reader to move on through the text (ex: watch instructional video after reading corresponding section of the text, or watch all the videos first, or save watch videos after reading), which create a different experience than reading traditional text. Digital storytelling also provide variety of multimedia such as graphics, audio, video and text. Twitter can also made reading more interactive and class activities more responsive to students, thus create more students engagement.

Week 7 Assignments # 3 Comment
ReplyDeleteTeachers use various strategies during read aloud involving picture books. For instance, the teacher with a class of say; 24 students, would question no more than seven students because more would be too time consuming. Some teachers pause only to have students view the images without saying anything.
Second life – I believe that this interactive tool is ideal for the spatial component of multimodal text because teacher and students are able to create movements in the character of the text, a feature which is not easily accessible available in presentation programs such as PowerPoint. I might include that students do not forget a story in which the characters/avatars come to life
SL is really different from traditional textbook reading. It is alive, interesting and interactive. This creates a lot of fun for students to learn.
ReplyDeleteI never thought as twitter as a interactive tool but it does promote writing. The main goal is to keep students engaged, reading and writing in comfortable environment.
ReplyDelete